[Spellyans] Cornish language declared extinct by UN

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Sat Feb 4 23:46:32 GMT 2012

We don't know who the London source was, and assume that it was the
Home Office.  The 'hell up' was from Cornwall itself once the UN's
initial "extinct" classification was made public.  Newspapers made
quite a bit of that, but various factions in Cornwall, incl. language
groups, MAGA and the Gorsedd, contacted the UN directly.  With the
information they now had, the UN changed the designation of Cornish to
"seriously endangered".  Newspapers hardly mentioned that!

Craig