[Spellyans] 2013 battle plans

Ken MacKinnon ken at ferintosh.org
Mon Feb 6 13:18:40 GMT 2012

A gowetha whek,

This is a worrying situation, and my own take on this is that the place-name
issue is a highly important and highly public language corpus planning
issue.

Here in Scotland we have a professionally constituted and authoritative
place-names body which could be said now to constitute an
officially-recognised authority: Ainmean-Aite na h-Alba  (AAA).    This
researches and determines authentic Gaelic place-name forms for use on the
various rapidly-expanding public signage initiatives.   In the cases where
there are no historic or more recently attested Gaelic place-name forms it
says so , and the name in its present geographical and official usage stays
as it is.  This is the case with several towns and villages in the Borders
and is a similar principle to that pertaining for many years in Wales ( e.g.
Connah's Quay on the Rhestr o Enwau Lleoedd is 'Connah's Quay'.   Like Bow
Street ( near Aberystwyth) it never has had a Welsh-language form.

I feel that CLP / MAGA should move towards establishing a professionalised
Cornish place-names authority which enjoys the respect of - or is ideally
even constituted of - professional Celtic and Onomastic academic circles,
and can therefore advise official bodies and others in the field of
authentic and reliable place-name forms in Cornish.

When the present working parties were constituted a couple of years ago I
was recommended to join the Status Working Group (on which I have been
active) and also to have an input into the Corpus Group.   This has not so
far been taken up.  However over the past couple of years I have been
involved in such initiatives through Bord na Gaidhlig as establishing a
Gaelic  language academy, and in associating the work of AAA within it.   I
might have some useful experience in these fields to contribute to the
Cornish Corpus Group, and it might be timely to remind CLP / MAGA / Jenefer
of this, in case it might be desirable to take this up.

Hoping this helps - an ken Ken