[Spellyans] (no subject)

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 19:58:00 GMT 2012

On 2012 Whe 10, at 17:43, Michael Everson wrote:
> For a Revived language, it would seem helpful to have a single thing for learners to learn.

Perhaps so, but this is a rather perverse argument to see on a forum dedicated to adding yet one more candidate to the (arguably) already excessive number of orthographies in Revived Cornish.

Up until the Kernewek Kemmyn 'coup d'état' in 1987, there was  pretty much a single form: Unified Cornish. Since then, we've seen a positive metastasis of the blighters:
—KK,
—UCR,
—RLC (of several different flavours)
—KD,
—KS 1,
—KS2,
—SWF(Main, Middle),
—SWF(Main/Tudor),
—SWF(Main/Late),
—SWF(Trad/Middle),
—SWF(Trad/Tudor),
—SWF(Trad/Late).

Perhaps through luck, perhaps through a smidgin of prescience, I decided back when I started learning Cornish that I'd stick to a reliable, established standard form of Revived Cornish, and let the orthography geeks fight it out ad nauseam amongst themselves.

In the meantime, Gwask an Orlewen has published over two dozen books in 4 of the historically-based RC orthographies, including my favoured UC.

Eddie Climo
Gwask an Orlewen