[Spellyans] Country Tracks

Herbie Blackburn kevin.blackburn1 at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 12 13:58:50 GMT 2012

Saw this morning's episode of this programme set in Cornwall - where Ben
Fogle interview a Mike Paynter on an open-top bus. Made the point well that
Cornish is not dead, and is in fact on the up - but I wanted to question his
pronounciation of the word he used for small - he said something sounding
like 'bo 'un' or 'bo wun'. I have mutliple possible spellings of the word
from different orthographies, but none of which could be construed to haver
this pronounciation:

Munys, Byghan, Byan, Boghes (prec. sing. n.); Behan (Keigwin), Bian / Bihan
(Lhuyd)

Bechan (MC-PaA), Bean (Jordan), Byan / Byhan (Ord.OM), Bichan

Bochan / Boghan (VCorn), Bechan

What orthography would he have been using?

Regards

Herbie

eMail:  <mailto:kevin.blackburn1 at ntlworld.com> kevin.blackburn1 at ntlworld.com

P Please consider the environment before printing this eMail - thanks