[Spellyans] Country Tracks

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Sun Feb 12 15:49:49 GMT 2012

I can't say that I have ever heard Mick pronounce 'byan' in that way.
Perhaps there was a certain amount of distortion through the radio.
One thing I have noticed about Mick's pronunciation is that it has a
distinct Breton twang, I asked him about this and he thinks it
probably goes back to his time as a child in St Ives when he used to
swim out to the Breton fishing boats, be invited on board and listen
to Breton being spoken.

I suppose that if it happened these days the fishermen would be
suspected of being paedophiles, assuming of course that any child now
would be given that much freedom :-(

On 12 Whe 2012, at 13:58, Herbie Blackburn wrote:

> Saw this morning’s episode of this programme set in Cornwall – where
> Ben Fogle interview a Mike Paynter on an open-top bus. Made the
> point well that Cornish is not dead, and is in fact on the up – but
> I wanted to question his pronounciation of the word he used for
> small – he said something sounding like ‘bo ‘un’ or ‘bo wun’. I have
> mutliple possible spellings of the word from different
> orthographies, but none of which could be construed to haver this
> pronounciation:
>
> Munys, Byghan, Byan, Boghes (prec. sing. n.); Behan (Keigwin),
> Bian / Bihan (Lhuyd)
> Bechan (MC-PaA), Bean (Jordan), Byan / Byhan (Ord.OM), Bichan
> Bochan / Boghan (VCorn), Bechan
>
> What orthography would he have been using?
>
> Regards
>
> Herbie
> eMail: kevin.blackburn1 at ntlworld.com
> P Please consider the environment before printing this eMail - thanks

Ray Chubb

Portreth
Kernow

   Agan Tavas web site:  www.agantavas.com