[Spellyans] Country Tracks

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun Feb 12 17:15:05 GMT 2012

On 12 Feb 2012, at 09:00, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> Because this vowel is generally written ‹a› in later MC and LC.

Sure, but I don't think that means it is [ɐ] as opposed to [ə].

> I think post-tonic schwa was an a-coloured sound,

Yes, but why? Just because of the graph they used?

> hence the spelling. Phonologically the distinction is irrelevant and it's just as OK to write [ə].

I think we have i-coloured schwa [ᵻ] and u-coloured schwa [ᵿ] alongside schwa [ə] but I don't think that the graph <a> really gives grounds to lower it so much. I think "colon" is [ˈkɔlən], not [ˈkɔlɐn], despite the occasional spelling "colan".