[Spellyans] Introduction

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Tue Jan 3 00:24:45 GMT 2012

Hello Linus,
Great to have you here! Welcome.

On Jan 3, 2012, at 12:01 AM, Linus Band wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> My name is Linus Band, and I am a Celtic Studies post-grad student at Utrecht University in the Netherlands. My main interest is the historical phonology of the South-West British languages.

Yes, it's a fascinating subject isn't it? I'm sure many of us here would be very interested in reading your essay, not to mention your thesis once it's done.

> I am currently finishing an essay on the spelling of Middle Cornish gu/gew/go- 'woe' and have just started writing my MA-thesis on the historical phonology of the Breton dialect of Ouessant, which seems to have some features that are remniscent of Cornish.

What features would that be? Would you care to enlighten us?

> In my free time I like to read anything I can find concerning the Cornish language revival. I am doing the KDL course at a very slow pace, but am actually more interested in KS and how it can help revise the SWF in 2013.

I've been working on an SWF-dictionary for the past few years and I'm sure I'll have to rework it again after the 2013 review.

> I have subscribed to the list so that I may know what is going on at the moment and may perhaps comment here and there where helpful. I'd very much like to help out, I'm just not sure yet how. I think that that's it.

You're very welcome to do so. I'm glad you're here. There's been very little discussion lately. I've started a thread on the corpus planning group about the SWF spelling ‹nowyth› and how it's problematic in the context of the current SWF. I'm afraid it's a closed group, but I'd be interested in your thoughts nonetheless.

> Oll an gwella,
>
> Linus
>
> Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Hollandsch kann ik en beten praten, avers beter gayt my dat mid Platduytsch ;-)