[Spellyans] Introduction

Linus Band linusband at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 09:44:24 GMT 2012

I'm sorry for the late reply, I had to finish my essay this week, so was
very busy doing that. I'll have to see now what my professor thinks of it.
My MA-thesis is still in its earliest phases, but was inspired by a map
that I found in the Nouvel Atlas Linguistique de Basse-Bretagne that showed
[o] for 'my' on Ouessant, while other Breton dialects have ma/va. Also, the
dialect seems to have retained *gwedren* 'glass' and *laedron* 'thief',
where almost all other Breton dialects have vocalised this *-d-, gweren*and
*laeron*. Maybe these are just a coincidence, but geographically it would
be natural to find some similarities between north-western Breton dialects
and Cornish, I'd think.

You're very welcome to do so. I'm glad you're here. There's been very
little discussion lately. I've started a thread on the corpus planning
group about the SWF spelling ‹nowyth› and how it's problematic in the
context of the current SWF. I'm afraid it's a closed group, but I'd be
interested in your thoughts nonetheless.

I have taken a quick look at *nowyth*, and have noticed that Lhuyd indeed
spells it noueτ and noueth in Jowan Chei an Hor', I take it that these are
the spellings referred to on SWF, p. 30?
I think it is strange to have *nowyth** *because Lhuyd writes noueτ and
noueth, but *gwiryonedh* for which Lhuyd has *gwyroneth* with final *-eth*.
Because of this exception confusion might arise from the irregularity of *
nowyth*/*nowodhow *when compared to *arludh*/*arlydhi*, *alwhedh*/*alwhedhow
*, etc.

Hollandsch kann ik en beten praten, avers beter gayt my dat mid Platduytsch
;-)

Je Nederlands is begrijpbaar en je spelling interessant! Ik zou graag nog
een keer Nederduits willen leren, maar dat kan nog even wachten.
Thanks for the warm welcome,

Linus

Hello Linus,