[Spellyans] RE : Can anyone help me

Hewitt, Stephen s.hewitt at unesco.org
Wed Jul 11 16:05:28 IST 2012

Sorry Linus, on holiday - I could have helped you with the first otherwise; what about contacting Guto Rhys (on facebook)

________________________________

De: spellyans-bounces at kernowek.net de la part de Linus Band
Date: mer. 11/07/2012 16:17
À: Standard Cornish discussion list
Objet : [Spellyans] Can anyone help me

First of all, sorry for abusing the list for something non-Cornish, but you are the easiest to reach group of people with Celtic expertise. As you might know, I am writing my MA-thesis about the Ushant dialect of Breton. The deadline for handing in my thesis is this Friday, and I am therefore very busy checking everything at the moment. I found out that I need to take a look at two books that are supposed to be in our University Library. The library is closed this week, however, (of all times!) so I had to order them to be sent to a different university location. The problem is that one of the books seems to have disappeared from the catalogue, and the other that I did order just won't arrive. So, I was wondering if any of you has access to one or both of these books.
The books are:

Fleuriot, Dictionnaire des glosses en vieux breton (Paris 1964).

(I need to know what page 187 says about the gloss gueldenes gl. 'insula indomita')

Vendryes, Lexique étymologique de l'irlandais ancien, 7 vols (Dublin 1959-1996).

( I need to know what etymology he gives for cuice?l 'distaff')

To keep it somewhat on the topic of Cornish: is the Cornish word for 'distaff' attested in the traditional texts? In Middle Breton it is queiguel, the Ushant dialect has ['kigel] (Peurunvan keigel). In Middle Welsh we find cogeil (Modern Welsh cogail, cogel).

All the best,

Linus