[Spellyans] yesterday's BIG surprise

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Mon Jun 4 11:04:53 IST 2012

Before Michael or anyone else shoots me down, the ramifications of
yesterday's massive surprise on the Thames might well have hefty
significance for Cornwall, her status and her language.  There have
been few occasions in my life when I've been left speechless, but when
I saw this yesterday, I was completely lost for words for several
minutes!  I could not believe my eyes.

The flotilla was led by the royal barge 'Gloriana', from which flew
the flags of the constituent nations of the UK, with equal standing.
England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man.......AND
CORNWALL!  There flew Baner Peran for all to see.
This was the first time since the coronation of Henry VIII that the
highest authority in the land had made a public admission and
statement that Cornwall is a NATION, distinct from England, and that
her flag - for far too long ridiculed as a mere "county flag" is,
indeed a NATIONAL flag.

This cannot fail to trigger many positive changes from the status
quo.  It will push Cornwall's move towards a measure of self-
determination, with all the knock-on effects that will bring -
including enhanced recognition for Kernowek.

(There was a second statement among the choice of flags, too.  There
also flew the red-on-white saltire of St Patrick, representing
Northern Ireland.  I don't believe that flag has been officially flown
for 40 years or more.  Yet, there it was!)