[Spellyans] yesterday's BIG surprise

David Trethewey davidtreth at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 14:57:44 IST 2012


No rumour is confirmed until it is officially denied....


On 04/06/12 14:55, Ken MacKinnon wrote:
>
> *Nicholas, ha'n gowetha-oll,*
>
> **
>
> *I shall stand corrected on the provincial status of Northern Ireland, 
> although I trust we are agreed that Ulster as such continues to enjoy 
> the historic status of province.*
>
> **
>
> *I am of course entirely aware of the inclusion of the Saltire of St 
> Patrick in the union flag ( albeit heraldically dimidiated and 
> fimbriated with the Saltire of St Andrew.)    What occasions me some 
> despair on these loyal occasions is the extent to which this fact 
> entirely escapes the awareness of many who attempt to fly the flag, 
> resulting in the display of the flag upside-down.   Often in up to 
> about 50% of the instances.*
>
> **
>
> *However, I do understand that the designation of the Saltire of St 
> Patrick as the official flag of Northern Ireland has no actual 
> statutory basis.*
>
> **
>
> *I must also engage in some self-correction concerning the commentary 
> on 'Gloriana'.   What the Sky News commentator actually said yesterday 
> was: "...flying the flags of the various constituent parts of the 
> United Kingdom."     Not, of course, that these words have any 
> official status.   However this official usage of Baner Peran on a 
> state occasion may in fact signify some changing attitudes in high 
> places.   Sinologists and Kremlinologists do in fact attach 
> significance to such manifestations, and so perhaps may we?*
>
> **
>
> *Cala y'n gwyns  -- an ken Ken*
>
> **
>
> *From:*spellyans-bounces at kernowek.net 
> [mailto:spellyans-bounces at kernowek.net] *On Behalf Of *Nicholas Williams
> *Sent:* 04 June 2012 13:12
> *To:* Standard Cornish discussion list
> *Subject:* Re: [Spellyans] yesterday's BIG surprise
>
> Northern Ireland isn't a province.
>
> The cross of St Patrick is, however, a constituent part of the Union Flag.
>
> Since both the cross of St George and the cross of St Andrew are used 
> for England and Scotland
>
> respectively, and they are combined in the Union Flag, the use of the 
> red saltire on argent/white is legitimate for the part of Ireland 
> still in the United Kingdom.
>
> Nicholas
>
> On 4 Jun 2012, at 13:06, Ken MacKinnon wrote:
>
>
>
> Royal recognition at last.  And as you say St Patrick's Saltire for 
> Northern
> Ireland, which in fact has no legal standing whatsoever in that province.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Version: 2012.0.2178 / Virus Database: 2425/5044 - Release Date: 06/04/12
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Spellyans mailing list
> Spellyans at kernowek.net
> http://kernowek.net/mailman/listinfo/spellyans_kernowek.net

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://kernowek.net/pipermail/spellyans_kernowek.net/attachments/20120604/f20f68bb/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Spellyans mailing list