[Spellyans] yesterday's BIG surprise

Ken MacKinnon ken at ferintosh.org
Tue Jun 5 14:49:06 IST 2012

What is the Cornish for "Hear! Hear !"

- an ken Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: spellyans-bounces at kernowek.net [mailto:spellyans-bounces at kernowek.net]
On Behalf Of Craig Weatherhill
Sent: 04 June 2012 18:57
To: Standard Cornish discussion list
Subject: Re: [Spellyans] yesterday's BIG surprise

One of the internet trolls has remarked (I think in sheer desperation)
that Baner Peran was flown in deference to the Duke who was aboard.
Well, he wasn't.  Not on the 'Gloriana' on which the flags flew  - he
was on the same boat as the Queen and, moreover, he has his own
standard as Duke of Cornwall,  the shield bearing 15 bezants (or) on a
sable background).  That was not being flown anywhere, as far I could
see.  (Which is interesting  because it's also his Diamond Jubilee as
Duke of Cornwall, which he became the moment his mother acceded to the
throne).

The point, which some here seem to be missing, is that Cornwall was,
after almost 500 years, being recognised, quite obviously with royal
approval, as one of the constituent NATIONS of Britain, distinct from,
and equal to, the others, including England, whose flag was flown
separately.    The only flag flown which wasn't a national flag was
the courtesy flag for the City of London in whose waters yesterday's
event was being staged.  The significance of this is enormous - for
Cornwall and everything that makes it unique - including the language.

That Cornwall is a nation in its own right, and not an appendage of
England, is a huge admission and acknowledgment by the highest
possible authority in the land, and it was made to the eyes of the
world.   We must take the very fullest advantage of this, as no one
can now argue with it.

Craig

<kevin.blackburn1 at ntlworld.com

No virus found in this message.