[Spellyans] Degol Peran lowen dhewgh!

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed Mar 7 17:40:08 GMT 2012

Is the word attested in any source prior to the Late period?

Late Cornish attestations are:
diggel (traditional, no exact source)
duggel (as above)
degl (Lhuyd - who also lists goll and gol [circumflex over U)

The first two, listed as Traditional (I'm using Gendall's source
dictionary here) are likely to be dialect sources, leaving just the
Lhuyd reference.

On this meagre evidence, I can't see the first element as anything but
de' (for dedh) "day", which would tie in with the dialect expression
"feasten day", and in the days of the week (De Yow, etc.)

Unfortunately, everyone went off at a tangent from my original point,
which was that the correct way to write "feast of St Piran", "feast of
St John" and "feast of St Sythney" would be, respectively,:
Golperan;  Golowan;  Golsydhny.  Not Gool Peran or De'Gol Peran, etc.

Golowan is noted by Lhuyd as Goluan (circumflex over U); the other two
by place-name evidence which, again, too many folk are ignoring.

Craig