[Spellyans] musical 'score' ?

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Sun Mar 25 12:36:20 IST 2012

However, we would probably wish to distinguish between “musical notation, written down” (as above), “music as heard” («mûsyk») and “music as intellectual property” (I would suggest «ylow» or «scor» here.)

As this last one is a modern concept, I feel that it would be legitimate to coin a new word for it. The other two meanings are old concepts. We should use only attested words for those if possible.

As I understand it «devyn» means “quotation” / “extract” / “something taken from the whole , as an example”. Therefore, I would reserve «devyn mûsyk» for an “excerpt” (perhaps to help sell a CD).

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim