DELIABROTHERTON at aol.com DELIABROTHERTON at aol.com
Fri May 25 09:37:49 BST 2012

There is short report in the Thursday 24th May edition of West Penwith
newspaper "The Cornishman" under the headline "Cornish removed from  sign"
which includes the following,

Land's End management has defended a decision to remove Cornish from  the
top of the entrance to the site after a barrage of criticism from Cornish
language groups.....

...Instead, following changes, Cornish has been lowered to a sign
welcoming tourists in a variety of languages, elsewhere on the entrance.   David
Bryans, general manager at Land's End, said the decision was part of  ongoing
investment and nothing to do with the Olympic Torch Relay.

He said (can you believe this..):"Land's End is an  international tourist
attraction and we have a multicultural ethos.  In  keeping with that, we have
tried to make the entrance as welcoming as possible  to as many people as
possible.  Feedback from visitors, particularly from  abroad, had indicated
that the previous sign was confusing.  As visitors  will see, our welcome in
Cornish is now displayed prominently and proudly at the  entrance alongside
international languages such as German, Spanish and  Italian."

So there you have it, the Cornish are just visitors/tourists like everyone
else!  How to win friends and influence people, eh?  Funnily enough,  while
parked in Gweek yesterday while on my way to my Cornish class, I got into
conversation with a couple on holiday from Perth, Australia who were
captivated by the idea of the Cornish language, if I had seen this report  earlier
I would have asked them what they thought, although I think I can  guess
their response.

Oll an gwella

Delia Brotherton