[Spellyans] Plural forms

Nicky Rowe nickyrowe at gmail.com
Thu May 31 18:14:07 BST 2012

Thanks Andrew

Orthography isn't a problem for just specifying the rules. When localising,
the translator would give forms of the noun for each rule, in the
orthography they're using, with a code such as Yma $1
{{PLURAL:gath|hath|cath}}, where $1 is the number, and the correct mutation
is shown - 2 gath, 3 hath, 4 cath. What I'm trying to build are the
underlying rules for plurals - so the computer knows which word to display
next to which number. The orthography of the words themselves is given by
the translator, not by these rules.

A rule for larger numbers can be created - the code would then be
{{PLURAL:gath|hath|cath|a gathes}}. But we would have to agree on which
numbers it happens to (other orthographies can still be accommodated within
the rules for KK/SWF/KS), and I would need a full list of ranges.

The rules for Breton have been added, and from the looks of it there are
similar issues to Cornish. See http://unicode.org/cldr/trac/ticket/2886 -
if we can specify the rules like that then we can get them added, and have
correctly mutated plurals wherever Cornish is used in technology. Like I
said orthography really isn't an issue, this only deals with the numbers.

Nicky