[Spellyans] Why learn Cornish?

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Tue May 1 21:50:57 IST 2012

In order to make best use of this article, we might need the Cornish for
"fine-tunes the mind", "scalp electrodes" and the Cornish for "pattern of
brainwaves". I don't know what they would be in Cornish. I assume that these
are new concepts. Any ideas?

I gather from the article that if we take lots of trouble to learn a
difficult, almost dead language (e.g. Cornish) that very few people
understand, we might get to go daft a little bit slower. Makes sense ...
give them more funding !?

Could it just be that the clever people tend to pick up languages more
easily?

I suggest this as their next experiment:

Take two equivalent groups of monoglot English speakers. Talk to one group
in English only. Talk to the other group in English sometimes and an
unfamiliar language (e.g. Cornish) sometimes - so that the second group has
to know two languages to survive. Keep this up for a few years. (Yes, it's
difficult to set up the total-emersion environment.)  In thirty years' time,
count the daft ones! Measure the difference. Draw conclusions. Hmm.

At least the number of Cornish speakers would have increased.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim