[Spellyans] the suffix -yeth or -ieth?

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Wed May 2 20:28:54 IST 2012

Michael,

Because the provision Gerlyvryn you let me see has:

biologyeth
calcoryeth
damcanyeth
dorydhyeth
enevyeth
erbysyeth
fysyologyeth
geografyeth
geologyeth
mynsonyeth
zoologyeth

Furthermore, in the foreword to "Alys in Pow an Anethow" I found descajor a galcoryeth. This prompted my checking the sources and spellings in the other dictionaries. Since this appears in a publication, no doubt there are more examples in all the KS publications, I should think this is "official" so that my putting it as "KS appears to have settled with the non-syllabic [jəθ], thus spelling it -yeth" seems accurate. In KS there is only one way of pronouncing ‹calcoryeth›: [kælˈkɔɹjəθ]. If the phonological base, however, should be [kælkəˈri(ː)əθ], then KS would have to spell *calcorieth according to its own rules.

Alys also contains the words tradycyon and satysfacsyon. In tradycyon the -cyon suffix stands for [sjən] or [ʃən]. Why would one deviate from this in satysfacsyon where elsewhere -syon as in vysyon stands for [zjən] or [ʒən]. I should suggest satysfaccyon instead, as -ccion for [ksjən] or [kʃən] is well attested in TH:

perfeccion
the thestruccion
effeccion
destruccion