Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed May 9 21:26:46 IST 2012

The term "side form" was officially abandoned 4 years ago.  That
certain people insist on using these years later speaks volumes about
their attitude to it.

Treyarnon (where Andrew Climo, Bernard Deacon and Mina Dresser
represented the traditional argument) should have been closely
minuted.  We were told that it would be, but it was not.  Now, if one
of the AHG says "X was agreed"; someone from the opposite side of the
table will say: "That's not what I recall".  The whole thing was
extremely unprofessional (and 5 days was woefully inadequate).

For 4 years, I've been advised that that SWF for "beech trees" was
<fow>, as per KK.  I thought this unwise because it's exactly the same
sound as <scaw> (<skaw>: SWF/K and KK) "elder trees".  The new on-line
SWF dictionary has just been published, and what do I find?  <faw>!
Why was <fow> being pushed?

I'm all for compromise, but that involves all sides, not just one.

Craig