Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu May 10 09:13:51 IST 2012

On 9 May 2012, at 16:28, Jon Mills wrote:

> I don't see how one can justify using taxpayers money to support a SWF that is not the preferred form for a large proportion of the Cornish language community. The Commission found that "a new consensus stands out as a better alternative than choosing any of the four existing orthographies, and we will strongly suggest to the Cornish community the imperative of arriving at a consensus." The Main form of the SWF does not have such consensual support.

I think this is one of the more trenchant things that's been said on this list in a good while.

> It seems that the Cornish language community is not yet ready for a standard written form.

There is a number of choices available. People will simply have to choose. It will be interesting to see what influence Desky Kernowek has on people's decisions. It is certainly more comprehensive than any previous grammar.