[Spellyans] translation

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sat May 12 08:52:22 IST 2012

Citius, altius, fortius are comparative adverbs rather than comparative adjectives. Traditional Cornish uses the preposition dhe 'to' in such cases:

ha the scafe sur yth eth 'and the more quickly you will go' OM 2295
the voy nefre me ath cays outlayer fyys ath wlays 'more ever I shall hate you, an outlawer banished from your land' BM 926-27
rag may hallogh vnderstondia an mater ma the well ha the pleynnya 'so that you may understand the matter better and more plainly' TH 1

Dhe + comparative is used after the verb bos 'to be' also, i.e. when the comparative adjective is used predicatively:

ha ny a veth the creffa der an maryach benitha 'and we shall be the stronger for ever by the marriage alliance'  BM 331-32.

Cf. also
han disobediens dretho ew gwrys the vrassa 'and the disobedience is made the greater by it' TH 4a.

I should translate the three adverbs as dhe scaffa, dhe uhella and dhe greffa.

Nicholas