[Spellyans] kemeres

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Sun May 13 00:50:37 IST 2012

I find that this system is quite difficult. Perhaps it is just a lack of explanation. My examples are from MAGA's new  .pdf  dictionary:

It's not quite as simple as that.
Sometimes we have a prefix that ends in the same letter as the word to which it is prefixed, e.g. <howllennow> "parasols". This is quite reasonable.

However, if the prefix ends in a double letter (i.e. ‹ll›, ‹mm›, ‹nn› and ‹rr›), the double letter is retained, e.g. <kollverk> "an apostrophe", "kollverkys> "apostrophes".
At first, this appears to be at odds with <bomellow> above. Then we have <koloryon> "a male loser" which seems to conform.
Then we have <jynnweyth> "machinery" and <jynnweythek> "mechanical", where <jynn> is a prefix in a compound word.
We also have <gwellhe> "to improve". Are we saying that this is a compound word rather than a derivative?
I also found <ombellhe> "to withdraw" and <ollgallosow> (apparently the plural of <ollgallos> "an omnipotence".)

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim