Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon May 14 15:41:31 IST 2012

On 14 May 2012, at 11:28, Nicholas Williams wrote:

> It's quite common in Middle Cornish too:

Nevertheless it is agreed that we may write -y in polysyllables.

Unfortunately (for the SWF), we are not "permitted" to write -y in monosyllables. Why not? As far as I can see, it is only so that MAGA can automatically convert what they consider to be  SWF MC to SWF LC. Thus they can convert ‹hwi› and ‹whi› to ‹hwei› or ‹whei›.

I certainly prefer ‹why›, which is the most normal traditional form.