Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon May 14 17:16:59 IST 2012

On 14 May 2012, at 16:53, Ken MacKinnon wrote:

> Quite frankly, colleagues, I have never fully understood the use of i and y in KK and SWF.

It isn't the same in KK and in SWF.

> If one were 'long' and the other 'short' that  would have seemed a consistent principle. But I have never really go down to this - and would appreciate guidance.

As you know, Spellyans started examining the SWF and KS began from that with some changes made to correct problems. One of the problems is the distribution of ‹i› and ‹y›, which in the SWF is a bit of a mishmash since in some cases it uses KK etymological spellings, and in some cases it doesn't.

‹i› at the beginning of a word
‹y› at the end of a word
‹i› for [iː] in monosyllables and [ɪ] in their derivatives
‹y› for [ɪ] in monosyllables and polysyllables
‹î› for [iː] in polysyllables

This is easily taught, easily learnt, and easily remembered while writing.