Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Mon May 14 22:29:04 IST 2012

On May 14, 2012, at 5:53 PM, Ken MacKinnon wrote:

> Quite frankly, colleagues, I have never fully understood the use of i and y
> in KK and SWF.
>
> If one were 'long' and the other 'short' that  would have seemed a
> consistent principle.   But I have never really go down to this - and would
> appreciate guidance.
>
> - Ken

Ken,
The distribution of ‹i› and ‹y› in KK and SWF never had anything to do with long v. short. Ken George assigned these graphs to the phonemes he reconstructed: /i/ and /ɪ/ respectively. Each phoneme according to its environment could be realized in KK as long, half-long or short, and in the SWF as long and non-long (i.e. short). Only in closed final unstressed syllables was there no phonemic distinction, but they are still distinguished orthographically on account of their origin. /i/ goes back to British and British Latin /iː/ while /ɪ/ goes back to Br. & BrL /i/. Ken George believes that these sounds remained distinct throughout most of the life of the Cornish language and says that in the Late (i.e. moribund) period /ɪ/ fell in with /ɛ/.
Dan