[Spellyans] kemeres

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Mon May 14 23:56:55 IST 2012

On May 13, 2012, at 1:50 AM, A. J. Trim wrote:

> I find that this system is quite difficult. Perhaps it is just a lack of explanation. My examples are from MAGA's new  .pdf  dictionary:

> It's not quite as simple as that.
> Sometimes we have a prefix that ends in the same letter as the word to which it is prefixed, e.g. <howllennow> "parasols". This is quite reasonable.

> However, if the prefix ends in a double letter (i.e. ‹ll›, ‹mm›, ‹nn› and ‹rr›), the double letter is retained, e.g. <kollverk> "an apostrophe", "kollverkys> "apostrophes".

‹collverk› is more like ‹howllen›. In these kinds of compounds the word ‹coll› retains its double letter, irrespective of the lack of stress in ‹collverkys›. This is an inconsistency, but unfortunately it is what was agreed upon.

> At first, this appears to be at odds with <bomellow> above. Then we have <koloryon> "a male loser" which seems to conform.
> Then we have <jynnweyth> "machinery" and <jynnweythek> "mechanical", where <jynn> is a prefix in a compound word.

‹jynnweyth› is clearly a mistake, as the SWF has ‹unweyth›. There is no pre-occlusion in ‹jun(n)weyth› to warrant the double ‹nn›. Unfortunately the SWF treats prefixes and lexical compound-words differently, hence the occasional confusion. I will discuss this further with the other corpus group members...

> We also have <gwellhe> "to improve". Are we saying that this is a compound word rather than a derivative?
> I also found <ombellhe> "to withdraw" and <ollgallosow> (apparently the plural of <ollgallos> "an omnipotence".)

I cannot find **ollgallosow. This would have to be SWF ‹ollgalosow›, but I've never encountered this word. See ‹ollgalosek› for 'almighty'. It was agreed that verbs with -he keep their double consonant because of the case of gwadnhe which shows PO.
Dan