Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Tue May 15 09:41:34 IST 2012

On 15 May 2012, at 09:22, Craig Weatherhill wrote:

> I used the word "largely", having our 5th-10th century inscribed stones in mind.  Many of the names on them are British, albeit slightly altered to suit Latin orthography.  Taking that into consideration, they represent our only known written British.
> Charles Thomas's book on Cornish and Welsh inscribed stone: "And Shall these Mute Stones Speak" (University of Wales Press 1994) is of great assistance in this subject.

I haven't seen that book, but conventional wisdom is that by 600 CE British had already developed into forms of Welsh, Cumbric, Cornish, and Breton. I'd be surprised if 10th-century stones were in much older language. But I really ought to get hold of that book, if for no other reason but to see if there are fonts that could be designed from it. :-)