Linus Band linusband at gmail.com
Tue May 15 10:10:32 IST 2012

I'm afraid that I must disagree on the date of divergence.No trait has been
found that distinguishes Cornish from Breton, or the other way around,
before the appearance of the Vocabularium Cornicum (somewhere between
1100-1200). (Cf. P. Schrijver, 'Old British', Brythonic Celtic, from
Medieval British to Modern Breton, Elmar Ternes (ed.) (Bremen 2011) 4, 34
f.)
As for the significance of reconstructed forms, they are an important tool
that can help us make sense of Traditional Cornish spelling. It is of
course not 100% foolproof, but so is the analysis and interpretation of
graphemes. Both should be used with care.

Kind regards,

Linus