Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Tue May 15 11:22:50 IST 2012

How can one be sure that the element  /-gloth/ in  /Cargloth/ is the lexeme CLEDH?
 Jon

 Dan writes,

 Here are the attestations:
cleath (CW), klêdh (Lh), cledh (Pr); (pl.) kledhioụ (Lh), cledhiou (Pr);

While there is no *cluth, *cloth, *clueth or *clevth which would point towards a front rounded vowel, the attestations clearly go back to the full grade */klœð/ root (B kleuz, W clawdd) as there is no reason for a i-mutated /klað/.

There is also the place name Cargloth where the second element does show a rounded vowel. Since all the textual attestations here are rather late it is not surprising that they would show */œ/ in its unrounded reflex. But since there's also the place name and I should agree with Craig that (critically examined) place names are highly relevant to the reconstruction of Cornish forms, we do have grounds to reconstruct */klœð/, hence SWFt ‹ *cleudh*›. I should say ‹ *cleudh*› is correct.