Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed May 16 22:05:11 IST 2012

Head on the block time.

"Reduced to the status of a code.  Every principle of sound and
spelling....must be followed to its logical end and strictly observed".

Anyone remember those words?  Written by P.A.S. Pool in "The Second
Death of Cornish" about the excesses of KK.
I worry that many of the debates and arguments on this group may be in
danger of going too far down the same path.  Must we codify every last
thing, giving the language no room to breathe?

With the SWF, and the oncoming Review, we should be looking for such
improvements as reintroducing vowels and vowel groups that have been
unwisely omitted.  We should be looking for areas where there is
further room for compromise.  Like it or not (and I don't) SWF will
retain certain features of KK.  It will retain features of traditional
Cornish and we have to ensure that these do not continue to be as
unbalanced as they currently are.  This is the nature of compromise if
it's applied evenly.

If the result contains a few inconsistencies, does it really matter?
I mentioned the many ways of pronouncing <-ough> in English.  Is it
"vaiz", "vahz" or "vawz"?   For <grass>, south-easterners say
"grahss", the rest of us say "grass".  Is one wrong or are both
right?  Who really cares as long as the language thrives, is used, and
passed on to future generations?

Craig