Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Thu May 17 15:32:23 IST 2012

I am not trying to say that Nance's work was perfect what I am trying
to show is that if you keep as closely as possible to historical
sources you are less likely to make major blunders.

A view which, Nicholas, you once seemed to hold.

What I object to on this forum, sometimes, is the way in which
conjecture is put forward as certainty.  If in doubt stick to the
sources.

On 17 Me 2012, at 13:40, Nicholas Williams wrote:

> Though Nance did change the spelling of the texts to make them
> conform to his preconceived notions.
> UC byghan is unattested in the texts (though not in place-names);
> byhan or byan would have been better
> UC Ywerdhon is unattested and should have been Wordhen
> UC Kembry is unattested and should have been Kembra
> UC Whevrer is unattested and should have been Whevrel.
>
> Moreover, because Nance had no linguistic training, he did not seem
> to have realised that the vowel in tus 'men' and dus 'come' were
> different. This was apparent from the different reflexes in Late
> Cornish: tees 'men' but des 'come'. As a result UC lacks the [oe]
> vowel, that was already in Jenner's Cornish.
>
> Nicholas
>
> On 17 May 2012, at 13:23, Ray Chubb wrote:
>
>> Of Kemmyn at 13.2	To draw up the phonemic inventory of a living
>> language is a difficult affair, and the end result may well not
>> satisfy other scholars in the field. To attempt to phonemicize a
>> language that has no traditional speakers is an even more hazardous
>> business, and requires exceptional linguistic expertise.  It is not
>> obvious that the devisors of Kernewek Kemmyn satisfied these
>> conditions.  It should be noted that the devisors of Unified
>> Cornish did not require such expert knowledge and skill. They after
>> all were content for the most part to let their sources speak for
>> themselves.
>>
>> Of Unified at 15.8	        At no point did Nance attempt to
>> elaborate a scientific basis for the phonology of Unified Cornish.
>> Indeed it is doubtful whether he could have done so, even if he had
>> wished. Instead he let the phonology of Unified Cornish emerge
>> piecemeal and in an ad hoc fashion. His system is saved quite
>> simply by the way that for the most part he adhered to the spelling
>> of the texts.

Ray Chubb

Portreth
Kernow