Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Sun May 20 11:27:39 IST 2012

On May 15, 2012, at 3:21 PM, Hewitt, Stephen wrote:

> Such an approach will inevitably lead to a complete mishmash, sometimes allowing older forms if attested, but taking only later forms if that is all that is attested.

I agree, a mishmash that many people didn't like about UC in the first place and went for the overregularised KK instead. I believe there are forms that are more conjectural than others. The word ‹cleudh› is one of the less conjectural ones in my opinion. And Jon appears to agree. There are plenty of RC users who aspire to distinguishing /œ(ː)/ from /ɛ(ː)/ and from /y(ː)/, at least two pre-SWF orthographies do this directly (KK, UCR) and others indirectly (RLC, UC to some degree).

> The various historical phases of Breton and Welsh are both there for comparative purposes; in a language as relatively poorly documented as Cornish, surely every available piece of evidence should be used.

I fully agree.

> I would have thought plausibly reconstructed forms should be allowed. If members of this list cannot agree on the basic goalposts, what is the point?
> Steve Hewitt

Yes, I agree. But we have to discriminate against forms where the conjectural for is at odds with the actual attested forms, as in the case of **Whevrer, **Kernewek and **Iwerdhon etc. where the evidence clearly shows that ‹Whevrel›, ‹Kernowek› and ‹Wordhen› are 'more' correct.
Dan