Nicky Rowe nickyrowe at gmail.com
Sun May 20 11:54:13 IST 2012

Could it also be that those who do want to accommodate traditional forms in
the SWF are having incredible difficulty in doing so simply because there's
no place for them? If everything is done using the K forms then it's
difficult to find an area where the C forms can be given a purpose. To my
mind the SWF has been the wrong way around since 2008. The K graphs became
the main form because a majority of people used them, but this decision
didn't take into account the emotional connection to the traditional forms.
The traditional forms are never going to go away - the connection towards
the traditional texts, the placenames and 80 years of pre-KK revival means
that there is always going to be a significant section of people who will
want to use them - for better or for worse. I'm not denying there is an
attachment to K forms among many, but it's relatively short-term and isn't
linked so strongly to history.

Therefore surely the best solution would be to switch main and traditional
forms around. It would then be much easier to accommodate the K forms as a
side form - they can be used in beginners material, moving on to
traditional forms at more advanced stages. The question when the SWF was
created should not have been "which form should be the main form?" but
"which form will be easiest to accommodate as a side form?"

Nicky