Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun May 20 12:02:04 IST 2012

On 20 May 2012, at 11:54, Nicky Rowe wrote:

> Could it also be that those who do want to accommodate traditional forms in the SWF are having incredible difficulty in doing so simply because there's no place for them?

If there were no place for traditional orthographic forms, Nicky, the Revival wouldn't have seen published over a million words in Cornish using them.

> If everything is done using the K forms then it's difficult to find an area where the C forms can be given a purpose.

Does anyone want to read the Bible in Cornish? They'll have traditional orthographic forms. How about Stevenson's classic "Treasure Island"? Yes, the AHG agreement made KK graphs "superior" and Traditional graphs "of not equal status" but people who are creating texts for the Revival are doing so using Traditional graphs.

> To my mind the SWF has been the wrong way around since 2008. The K graphs became the main form because a majority of people used them, but this decision didn't take into account the emotional connection to the traditional forms.

True.

> The traditional forms are never going to go away - the connection towards the traditional texts, the placenames and 80 years of pre-KK revival means that there is always going to be a significant section of people who will want to use them - for better or for worse. I'm not denying there is an attachment to K forms among many, but it's relatively short-term and isn't linked so strongly to history.

Yes!

> Therefore surely the best solution would be to switch main and traditional forms around. It would then be much easier to accommodate the K forms as a side form - they can be used in beginners material, moving on to traditional forms at more advanced stages. The question when the SWF was created should not have been "which form should be the main form?" but "which form will be easiest to accommodate as a side form?"

That's one way. Another way is to do as Christian Semmens said, and just allow everyone his or her choice.