Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 20 12:37:36 IST 2012

On 2012 Me 20, at 12:02, Michael Everson wrote:
> …Does anyone want to read the Bible in Cornish? They'll have traditional orthographic forms. How about Stevenson's classic "Treasure Island"? Yes, the AHG agreement made KK graphs "superior" and Traditional graphs "of not equal status" but people who are creating texts for the Revival are doing so using Traditional graphs.

Indeed they are : the 'traditionalists' are producing more and better publications than supporter of non-trad forms like KK and SWF/K. In addition to the titles mentioned above by Michael, and the 1,000,000 words of Cornish published by Evertype (if I remember the quoted figure correctly), we might consider the 30+ publications from Gwask an Orlewen over the last two and a half years, as well as the many publications from Spyrys a Gernow and Agan Tavas. Furthermore, there are some excellent resources being created by members of the Cussel. These cover the whole range of RC orthographies, with the sole exception of Kemmynn: UC, UCR, RLC, KS (including both Tudor and Late/Modern forms), SWF/T…and even SWF/K.

If you doubt this, just compare the book stalls at any Cornish cultural event: Spyrys/Agan Tavas have the bigger, more attractive selection of publications, while the KKowethas/KKesva one is not only smaller but their publications are mostly quite amateur in design and production.

Eddie Climo