[Spellyans] Spellyans, KS, and reconstruction

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Sun May 20 13:52:13 IST 2012

On May 16, 2012, at 1:54 PM, Jon Mills wrote:

> Michael asks "What is an orthography for?"
> The SWF, supported by the taxpayer, should serve the entire Cornish language community. The choice of graphs is hierarchical and as such discriminates against a large proportion of the Cornish language community. As such, it is divisive and is likely to cause resentment and alienate many Cornish speakers and learners. The SWF is, thus, not fit for purpose.

I fully agree with you, where the dichotomy of the SWF is concerned. If a consensus form without variants cannot be achieved, the SWF/K v. SWF/T forms need to have equal status in all respects and it will be up to the writer of a given text to decide which form to use.

> "Have we done a good enough job?"
> Yes, certainly, beyond doubt.
>
> "Is there a list of etyma that we still need to argue about?"
> Possibly, but we have most accounted for.
>
> "Are there serious shortcomings that render KS unworthy of academic support?"
> There are no serious shortcomings.
>
> Ol an gwella,
> Jon

This concerns KS. KS is not considered part of the SWF by MAGA as far as I know. KS is a good orthography for Revived Cornish, no doubt about that, but it is not SWF. KS aspires to a developmental and phonological mean date of about 1550 to 1600. The SWF on the other hand tries to accommodate earlier Middle Cornish, Tudor Cornish and Late Cornish in one orthographical system with variants. This is a fundamentally different approach, despite certain phonological issues that have been abandoned, such as half-length, distinguishing fully long and non-long.
Dan