Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Mon May 21 11:09:26 IST 2012

This is exactly what I had in mind, Andrew, and exactly, I suspect,
what Craig had in mind when he quoted Pool.

In other words, if in doubt leave it in the historical form. Current
academic thinking can be shown with diacritics which is what Nance was
doing whether he knew it or not. If subsequently that thinking is
found to be wrong it is easier for users to have  a change to a
diacritic rather than a change to the spelling.

It also occurs to me that Nance quite deliberately did not recommend
diacritics for ordinary writing, although he put them in his
dictionaries, because he wanted everyday written Cornish to appear as
historically accurate as possible.

On 20 Me 2012, at 23:14, A. J. Trim wrote:

> By the same token we could have the same principle applied to word
> voiced realisation, but write ‹th› where some pronounce the word
> with /θ/ and others with /ð/, or where some people vary the
> pronunciation according to the word’s environment.
>
> Most words would then end in <-th> and match the texts.
>

> Regards,
>
> Andrew J. Trim

Ray Chubb

Portreth