ewan wilson butlerdunnit at ntlworld.com
Mon May 21 18:14:23 IST 2012

Penwith Telegraphs....

So not only 'alien graphs' but also alien telegraphs?!
Actually, I must confess I do find the odd lurching, lichen covered old telegraph pole quite charming, in its own way. I wonder if the ancients found the tin mine stacks objectionable?!
I've never found the glorious Penwith landscapes glaringly disfigured by the poles, or them all that conspicuous. However, everything in moderation, I do agree!

I think what Nicholas has to say about UC interesting from a linguistic perspective, at any rate. Certainly when Cornish was still offered as a paper in the old Celtic Dept at Glasgow University, the revived language was entirely ignored, and only the actual texts in the manuscripts studied. Such a pity. Nowadays there is uch a plethora of material, both on the literary/cultural front as well as all the intricate linguistic front that I am sure any enterprising Celtic Dept could effortlessly be offering a full three years course of  Cornish in its syllabus! Shocking that not even a single college in Wales seems to be doing so! The Celtic Dept in Glasgow seems to have contracted its options down to only the Goidelic field, whereas it used to cover all the Brythonic and Goidelic fields over the  Junior and Senior Honours years...though charging through Old Irish in a single term seemed pretty brutal to me- especially when Mr Gleasure informed us they did it over the full four years in Trinity, Dublin!

Ewan.