Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Wed May 23 09:20:05 IST 2012

The same is often said about Irish place-names in Ireland. It is nonsense, of course. Visitors come for local colour.
Cornish language  place-names are a tourist attraction.

English people are for the most part sympathetic to the Celtic languages in these islands. The real opponents are the Anglicised Welsh and those in Ireland whose grandparents spoke Irish. Such people feel guilty that they no longer have any part in their own culture, and by reaction become aggressively anti.

Nicholas