Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Thu May 24 06:46:36 IST 2012

I have always said the same, Dan.  The West Saxons only ever applied
the term to Celtic speakers.  To them, the Cornish were the
"Westwealas"; the Welsh the "Northwealas".  I wasn't aware of the
Volcae connection.

I wondered if it had a more general Indo-European root, as a great
many places and people had <gal>, <wal> applied to them in areas which
were known to be Celtic speaking by the Late Iron Age.  These include:

WALes, CornWALl, PortuGAL, WALlonia, WALlachia, GAUL, GAEL/GAELic;
GALicia, GALatia, and so on.

Craig