Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Thu May 24 07:19:43 IST 2012

English may not be German per se, but it is a Germanic language in
origin.  Compare Anglo-Saxon with Frisian (Garry Funk gave me a
Frisian phrase book and it's amazing how closely related the two are,
even after centuries).  As to the dictionary, do we know that the
meanings given are correct, or Clark-Hall's interpretation 1500-1000
years on?

It's also possible that the term originally meant "Celtic speakers",
but was later extended in meaning.

Consider this as regards: Walnut.   A walnut resembles a skull which
can be opened to reveal something that looks remarkably like a brain.
The Celts of the Iron Age/Roman and post-Roman periods were well known
for their custom of taking the heads of their enemies.

Craig