[Spellyans] Welsh

Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Thu May 24 08:53:57 IST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: Daniel Prohaska
Sent: 05/24/12 08:08 AM
To: Standard Cornish discussion list
Subject: Re: [Spellyans] Welsh

>From the online etymological dictionary:
Welsh http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Welsh&allowed_in_frame=0  http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Welsh O.E. Wilisc, Wylisc (W.Saxon), Welisc, Wælisc (Anglian and Kentish), from Wealh, Walh "Celt, Briton, Welshman, non-Germanic foreigner;" in Tolkien's definition, "common Gmc. name for a man of what we should call Celtic speech," but also applied to speakers of Latin, hence O.H.G. Walh, Walah "Celt, Roman, Gaulish," and O.N. Valir "Gauls, Frenchmen" (Dan. vælsk"Italian, French, southern"); from P.Gmc. *Walkhiskaz, from a Celtic name represented by L. Volcæ (Caesar) "ancient Celtic tribe in southern Gaul." The word survives in Wales, Cornwall, Walloon, walnut, and in surnames Walsh and Wallace. Borrowed in O.C.S. as vlachu, and applied to Romanians, hence Wallachia. Among the English, Welsh was used disparagingly of inferior or substitute things, hence Welsh rabbit (1725), also perverted by folk-etymology as Welsh rarebit (1785).

Dan