Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Fri May 25 07:30:45 IST 2012

The absurd thing about the Dolly Pentreath plaque in Mousehole is -
that it's in English only!

I have a fond memory of being in Mousehole one summer morning.  A
whole coach-load of tourists was stood in front of the plaque as their
guide (who had a broad London accent) read it out and added:  "Of
course, nobody speaks Cornish now".  So, from behind them, I proceeded
to repeat the text of the plaque in Cornish then said to the guide:
"I think you need to revise that statement, ole pard.  There are
plenty who speak it, most of 'em a lot better than me".

A second Olympic row has blown up, with a Cornish MP demanding an
apology after the last Cornish torch-bearer in Saltash had the flag of
St Piran snatched from him by one of the grey-clad Metropolitan police
escort runners, who then proceeded to crush it up into a ball in his
hands - something you wouldn't do to another nation's flag.  According
to the torch-bearer. the problem was not so much the flag, but the
words: Cornwall/Kernow in one of its lower quarters.  Obviously,
Cornwall wasn't the problem, leaving only "Kernow" which had been
declared a "political message" by someone, who then passed the
instruction to get the flag removed passed on via the escort runner's
earpiece.  So, the native name of Cornwall, recorded as early as 400
AD, is a "political message"?  Taken in tandem with Land's End, and
the obliteration of the Cornish language name there, it seems that
London has a problem with the Cornish language!  As you can imagine,
there is all hell to pay!

Craig