Ken MacKinnon ken at ferintosh.org
Fri May 25 09:21:44 IST 2012

Yes - this one will run and run !

-        An ken Ken

From: spellyans-bounces at kernowek.net [mailto:spellyans-bounces at kernowek.net]
On Behalf Of Craig Weatherhill
Sent: 25 May 2012 07:31
To: Standard Cornish discussion list
Subject: Re: [Spellyans] Is there a future for the SWF?

The absurd thing about the Dolly Pentreath plaque in Mousehole is - that
it's in English only!

I have a fond memory of being in Mousehole one summer morning.  A whole
coach-load of tourists was stood in front of the plaque as their guide (who
had a broad London accent) read it out and added:  "Of course, nobody speaks
Cornish now".  So, from behind them, I proceeded to repeat the text of the
plaque in Cornish then said to the guide:  "I think you need to revise that
statement, ole pard.  There are plenty who speak it, most of 'em a lot
better than me".

A second Olympic row has blown up, with a Cornish MP demanding an apology
after the last Cornish torch-bearer in Saltash had the flag of St Piran
snatched from him by one of the grey-clad Metropolitan police escort
runners, who then proceeded to crush it up into a ball in his hands -
something you wouldn't do to another nation's flag.  According to the
torch-bearer. the problem was not so much the flag, but the words:
Cornwall/Kernow in one of its lower quarters.  Obviously, Cornwall wasn't
the problem, leaving only "Kernow" which had been declared a "political
message" by someone, who then passed the instruction to get the flag removed
passed on via the escort runner's earpiece.  So, the native name of
Cornwall, recorded as early as 400 AD, is a "political message"?  Taken in
tandem with Land's End, and the obliteration of the Cornish language name
there, it seems that London has a problem with the Cornish language!  As you
can imagine, there is all hell to pay!

Craig