Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed May 30 22:38:36 IST 2012

The lych gate at Mawnan church.

I believe this is a line from one of the Miracle Plays: In SWF:  Da
dhymm hedhyw nessa dhe Dhuw.

I'm told that there is more inside the church but every the I go there
the place is locked up.  Probably to stop the Owlman (who haunts the
woods around the chruch) and Morgawr ( our sea monster who lives at
the mouth of the Helford below the church) from getting in.

Mawnan (patron is the Celtic St Maunan) illustrates a need to have the
<au> graph added to SWF for loan words (dauns, cauns, etc) and ancient
personal names (Austol, Maunan, Maugan, etc).  SWF uses <o> and
<Ostel, Monan, Mogan not only look awful but invite widespread
mispronunciation).  Then, for Lannvausa (St Mawes) the SWF does what
KK did and writes <*Lannvowsedh>!  Why? - it's the same vowel!

Craig