[Spellyans] Plural forms

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Thu May 31 16:34:35 IST 2012

Nicky,

The rules are not quite that simple, and the rules may change with different orthographies, e.g. in Late Cornish, there may be no mutation after the numbers 1 or 2. You will need to check. Also, KK will have <kath>; KS will have <cath> for the non-mutated form.
Anyway, after the number 1, all masculine nouns remain unaffected.

There are masculine and feminine forms for the numbers 2, 3 and 4, so “x” (in your example for rule 1) will not be a constant for the numbers 2, 22, 42, 62 and 82. Nor will “x” be a constant in your rule 2.

The number 1000 causes soft mutation so your rule 3 is false. You will need at least one more rule.

The noun is singular after small numbers (like the ones quoted here) but at some point they become plural with much larger numbers.
In that case, the noun will be preceded by <a> “of”, and this will cause soft mutation.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim