[Spellyans] The monarchy and Spellyans

ewan wilson butlerdunnit at ntlworld.com
Thu May 31 21:57:15 IST 2012

I know I recently mentioned the potential boost to the language that the
Duke of Cornwall and Prince of Wales could inject. I trust this was not
mistaken as anti-Royalist because that would be a huge irony given I am a
'devout' supporter of our Constitutional Monarchy and the hard won liberties
that the Glorious Revolution Settlement broght us as a nation, especially in
the shape of the Toleration Act. Yes, many at the time no doubt had to be
reluctantly dragged into accepting the principle but as a nation it was one
of the most salutary hard learned lessons we took on board. It broke the
infatuation for Absolutism and gradually ensured precious civil liberties.
And whilst I do not think Monarchy is essential to this, I do think our
Constitutional Monarchy and its historic roots is vastly superior to a mere
presidency- warts and all!

Ewan.