[Spellyans] UC/UCR

Herbie Blackburn kevin.blackburn1 at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 12 21:59:14 GMT 2012

I know this might be a stupid thing to say, and may be a daft and simplistic
opinion, but..

How did Cornish ever get into the mess it appears to be in!

When I first started studying Cornish in 1980 and obtained a copy of Nance's
English-Cornish / Cornish-English dictionary there seemed to be one truth.
The language held within it seemed mostly self consistent and since then I
have found it to be very much rooted naturally in the progression of Cornish
from its earliest writing, through texts like the Ordinalia, BK, Jordan,
etc. but also to have picked up and corrected / normalised things from
Lhuyd, Rev. Williams, Pryce etc.

Then when I first saw Nicholas Williams's UCR Dictionary, I thought the
future of Cornish was secure and resolved.

So, I cannot believe how the legacy of Nance, and the fantastic effort of
Nicholas are still being argued against, and the amount of negative effort
that has been wasted.

As I say, I know this is a simplistic view, and I'm not close enough really
to judge, but...is anyone able to sum up where they believe the Cornish
language debate has got to, and the likely outcome?

Regards

An interested (very interested) outsider

eMail: kevin.blackburn1 at ntlworld.com

P Please consider the environment before printing this eMail - thanks