[Spellyans] UC/UCR

ewan wilson butlerdunnit at ntlworld.com
Tue Nov 13 21:30:05 GMT 2012

Christian,

I take your point here about the vital necessity of persuading all of the validity of the presupposition that revived Cornish MUST be based on the 'traditional forms' if the language is finally to win recognition as historically 'authentic'.
 I doubt many academic Celtic departments will look favourably upon a computer based construct some steps removed from the historic forms, any more than it has tended to look upon UC. In fact surely a KK type base will have even less validity in the eyes of the academics?
Whether, as you rightly point out, anything approaching UC/UCR would be the ultimate outcome even if the 'historic forms' basis were to be adopted, is another matter.
However, I am sure that in the meantime the various competing systems must be highly confusing to the everyday would-be user. Even some of us with a smattering of linguistic training find it all mind bogglingly complex at times and so on pragmatic grounds , if nothing else, feel it best to stick with the familiar- UC/UCR .
I was intrigued by Ray's hint that he might one day produce a high powered apology for the traditionalist stance and speaking personally, I would find that both immensely fascinating and helpful, so plead with Ray seriously to undertake this task!!

Ewan.