[Spellyans] UC/UCR

Christian Semmens christian.semmens at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 14:17:12 GMT 2012

I wrote this before Eddies last message, but most of it stands...

My statements are neither tendentious nor erroneous, Eddie, and hopping on
a high horse at the first sniff of perceived criticism of UC is not
helpful. I also never said that I want KS to replace everything that went
before. UC is what it is, it won't change. UCR was an attempt to do that
and it didn't get very far, although I prefer its aesthetic to any of the
other orthographies before or since. A purely subjective opinion.

Let us please stop bickering about things that are not pertinent to the
matter in hand. The majority of the revival has turned its back on UC as
its chosen written form for various reasons. Arguably the largest group use
KK and this in-fighting over nothing, between people on the same side of
the fence does absolutely nothing to help change that fact.

I am not criticising or dismissing UC or the people who learned it, I am
merely pointing out that the focus for some on UC here, now, today, on this
forum to discuss changes to the SWF, is misplaced. The SWF is being
constructed as the future of written Cornish. Currently that has a UC
informed phonology and bizarrely, a KK face. Traditional graphs are hidden
away, depreciated and of inferior standing regardless of the empty initial
promises. We should be striving to overturn this discrimination not harking
back to a time past.

Christian